Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Quick tutorial for terry cloth burp rags


This project is so incredibly simple that  I hesitated in calling this post a tutorial...since I assume the vast majority of you already know how to sew something like this...but here goes.

As a full time nanny to three little ones under the age of 2, I can't tell you how many burp cloths I go through, and what all they come in handy for. I detest the traditional cloths that the stores sell as burp cloths, since I find them too small, not nearly absorbent enough, and frankly...boring. So I though...what could be more absorbent than terry cloth? I made a few for a friend who just had a baby, and she emailed me a few weeks later, raving about these handy cloths.

I confess I'm a little in love with Amy Butler fabrics, and am always looking for a new project to use them on. I also picked up some cheap towels at the store, specifically for this purpose, in all sorts of bright colours, and I just love how they turned out!





I forgot to take pictures of the process, but both the finished pictures, and the written description should be plenty.

Cut out one piece of Terry cloth, and one of cotton print 10"x20" (adjust the size and shape of your own if you have a preference). I selected a medium weight terry for this purpose, since the really plush toweling gets rather stiff, and the really thin terry isn't as good at cleaning up messes, but play around with them and figure out which one you prefer.


 With right sides together, pin in place, and sew together (with the cotton print on top - otherwise the terry cloth stretches too much and you'll end up with a warped burp cloth), making sure to leave a 4" gap in the seam at one end.

Trim the corners, and turn the whole business right side out. Pin the hole closed, poke out the corners, and iron flat.

Sew around the outside, close to the edge once or twice to give it a nice crisp edge


And that's that! I cut out six or eight sets at a time and sew them all at the same time to save on some time, and a rotary cutter makes quick work of a few layers of fabric at once. This is such a fun and easy way to express your own personal style, as well as coordinate fabrics with your diaper bag/nursery/or purse, so have fun with different colours and fabrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment